Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

tombrdfrd66
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Two directionals working as one?

Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:08 am

I've a mountain-top AP serving a few clients in two valleys to north and south.

An omni would 'beam' most of its signal over the top of the clients nearest the AP, clearly in sight but hundreds of metres below it.

Two mini-directionals angled downwards would provide best coverage, but would require two cards and two of the already overcrowded three 2.4GHz channels.

So is there any way of using the two directionals back-to-back as one interface on one frequency - like an omni? I know the two connections on an R52Hn can be used in a MIMO configuration, but MIMO itself is a bit above my pay-grade and I don't think that's what I need here anyway. Or is there any efficient way of connecting two antennas to one antenna output/cable?

Can anyone help?
The more I know, the more I know I don't know.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Two directionals working as one?

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:11 am

I have two vertical 180 degree sectors, back to back conected to one RB711A and is working very good. Also have this setop with an rocketm2. Sectors have 10dbi and excelent coverage.

tombrdfrd66
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:10 am

Thanks InoX.

This is new to me. So you have one antenna connected to each of the two MMCX sockets on the board/card? How do you actually get the board/card to drive them?

Is it just a case of putting a tick in the "chain 1" boxes in the HT tab in the wireless interface in Winbox - for Tx and RX - so that the two antennas work as a pair? Presumably running nstream or Nv2 prevents Rx clashes? What effect does running both chains in Tx have on output? Does each still transmit at the Rx power you set or is it halved between them?

As I didn't go to the MUM at Rekjiavik where chains and MIMO was explained and there appears to be a dearth of explanation of it in the Mikrotik support site is there anywhere one can go for a beginner's explanation of all this duelling?

Thanks
The more I know, the more I know I don't know.

phendry
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:37 am

Hey Tom,

Sorry to hijack this old post but was wondering what part of NZ you are in. Doesn't seem to be possible to PM you and hence this post.

Many thanks,

Paul.