Community discussions

MikroTik App

tr0pe
just joined
Topic Author

CRS125-24G-1S-RM Router with SFP Uplink

Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:52 am

Hello all,

Just purchased a CRS for use in a school environment.

Essentially, i'm trying to interconnect the devices within our school's TV studio (most of the equiptment communicates via ethernet)

The switch is uplinked to the main school network via fiber from the SFP slot, and the first 9 ports are being used to connect the various computers & switching gear in the studio.

By default, I just plugged everything in and the computers were all getting internet with no configuration. The CRS had grabbed an IP from the school's network via DHCP which is a 192.168.13. address

But for some reason, if I try to remove the default ether2-master-local interface it takes down the entire switch and I lose connection. Is this because the ether2-master-local interface is configured as a master for all the other interfaces? And if so, how can I remove this? I would rather have every interface acting on its own..

Secondly, if I want ports 2-9 all to use DHCP, do I need to enable dhcp server on each of those interfaces, and can all those interfaces share one dhcp address pool?

I would optimally like port 1 with DHCP disabled (the video gear off port 1 only accepts static IP) and the rest of the ports on the switch configured via DHCP to hand out addresses.

Lastly, can I set dhcp reservations on this switch? I would like to reserve specific IP's for specific devices that whenever they are connected to that port they get assigned the same IP via DHCP because otherwise the video gear cannot communicate.

Sorry if these are noob questions, I have been messing around but have still not found a plausible way to do this and I need to finish the project by the end of the week.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CRS125-24G-1S-RM Router with SFP Uplink

Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:45 pm

Christmas is not a time most of us are available. Did you get everything sorted out?

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:53 pm

I'm back now as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Zavi

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:58 pm

Bit late, but hope not too much...
At first i must to ask: Why you want to remove ports from switch and then try to make them work like if they are in switch? What exactly you want to achieve? Do you want to access studio devices from outside network?

But for some reason, if I try to remove the default ether2-master-local interface it takes down the entire switch and I lose connection. Is this because the ether2-master-local interface is configured as a master for all the other interfaces?
I don't know CRS's default configuration, but i think that DHCP server is set at the ether2-master. And if you disable master interface, all slaves will be disabled too.

And if so, how can I remove this? I would rather have every interface acting on its own..
go into these interfaces configuration and remove the master port

Secondly, if I want ports 2-9 all to use DHCP, do I need to enable dhcp server on each of those interfaces, and can all those interfaces share one dhcp address pool?
Yes and yes, but keep in mind that if you use IPs from same subnet on routed interfaces, they will not be routed and it won't work.

I would optimally like port 1 with DHCP disabled (the video gear off port 1 only accepts static IP) and the rest of the ports on the switch configured via DHCP to hand out addresses.
You can keep DHCP on, if the device doesn't request IP from it, nothing will happen.

Lastly, can I set dhcp reservations on this switch? I would like to reserve specific IP's for specific devices that whenever they are connected to that port they get assigned the same IP via DHCP because otherwise the video gear cannot communicate.
Yes, take a look in /ip dhcp-server leases
RB751G-2HnD & RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN at home