Community discussions

maurool
just joined
Topic Author

RB750UP PoE ports flapping on version 6.10 [solved]

Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:01 pm

Dear all,

I'm experiencing the same problem described in this post: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... it=rb750up , but with the latest RouterOS version 6.10. I guess it was supposed to be fixed by previous versions.

My setup is very simple:

power via DC jack
eth1 not used (no nat, dchp, etc...)
eth2 poe-auto
eth3 poe-auto, master port eth2
eth4 poe-off, master port eth2
eth5 poe-off, master port eth2

Ports 2,3 powers up two devices (metal 2Hn) and I access the RB750UP using winbox via eth4 that's in the same switch with ports 2,3,5.

Even opening the device window or entering the poe panel to just see power consumption, PoE starts going up and down randomly. Closing winbox everything is working well and stable.
I accessed the RB750UP via mac address, since eth2 has an IP assigned on a different subnet from my PC (I'm testing a setup for a remote site), if this can be of any interest.

Is anyone having the same problem with the latest version? Any idea?

Thanks, Mauro
Last edited by maurool on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB750UP PoE ports flapping on version 6.10

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:37 pm

I had also this device but I will find this unit not good.
Sorry Mikrotik

Try with more powerfull power supply like 24 volt 3 amp.

maurool
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:32 pm

Seems it's not a matter of power supply current or voltage, this just happens with any power source.
For reference the PoE firmware version is 2.13

I've also heard mixed opinions about this product and problems related to PoE. I guess this is a quite good product for the price, some more bug fixing and optimization from Mikrotik should do the job.

Hope this issue can be fixed with the next RouterOS version since it is quite annoying and continuos power reset while logged to winbox/interfaces can be critical.
I would be surprised to be the only one experiencing this problem with the latest version...

Mauro

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:42 am

I have that to with 3x nanostation M2 loco

siscom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi,

Tried this out and had to visit that particular site which has only a backhaul and an AP connected more times than I can count.

Some observations -

1) Unit is powered by 12vDC via DC jack;
2) Unit was stable for about six months from installation (approx 10~15Mbps traffic);
3) AP connected to ether-4 started to reboot, bypassed it from the RB;
4) Few months later, backhaul connected to ether-5 started to reboot.

Had just returned from MUM2014 where during a presentation, it was declared that a later firmware than what I had on board fixed the issue. We upgraded to 6.10 but problem persisted. We downgraded to 6.9 but problem persisted. Have tried various options inside the PoE tab, forced, auto, whatever, but still no way it works with ports rebooting at random.

Problem 'resolved' by putting in a PoE injector defeating the whole purpose of having installed the UP version in the first place.

One observation from SNMP polling - temperature reading while utilising the power nearly doubled the temperature readings. Also, this unit worked well over last summer which saw 35 degrees centigrade (in the shade) shooting up for a while also to over 40. Voltage reading varied from 11.5v to 11.6 over a year of logs.

It's a pity because this was a cool way to control and remotely reset devices and hope that it is a software issue rather than hardware as I still have quite a few in stock.

It's only fair to point out that quite a few units installed and operating indoors have till now not given us any problems.

Rgds,
Mark.

maurool
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:44 am

Good news: I have to perform in deep testing, but for now it seems that version 6.11 and new firmware 3.13 fixed the problem for me.

Mauro

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:01 am

Please change topic title with [solved] at the end,

thanks.
I'm Italian, not English. Sorry for my imperfect grammar.