I am currently using RT-N16 with Toastman Tomato without any problems. Recently I've ran out of ports (currently need 6 LAN+1WAN connections) so I'm looking into a switch solution. Obviously N16+CRS125-24G-1S-IN will be the one to go, but I'm also thinking of RB750GL+N16, which will give me 6 LAN+1WAN.
Now I think my main concern is QoS. My connection is 70Mb/10Mb and I have about 15 devices connected via wire and wireless, including a NAS running BT 24/7, a Xbox One, some iPhones/iPads, OpenELECs, laptops. Currently my QoS on Tomato allows me to play games while laptop streaming YouTube, while NAS downloading torrents.
1) Is RouterOS QoS function as powerful (more powerful?) than the QoS on Tomato?
2) Will there be a difference between CRS125-24G-1S-IN and RB450G QoS wise?
3) From my understanding, CRS125-24G-1S-IN, a L3 Switch, is both a router and a switch. How is the routing function compared with RB750GL?
4) What are the advantages/disadvantage of CRS125-24G-1S-IN+N16 over RB750GL+N16?
5) Main difference between RB750GL and RB450G seems to be 680MHz and 256MB RAM. Will RB750GL be sufficient for my home use? I normally have about 5 seedings and 10 download running on my NAS.
6) Since I used commercial routers and APs have crappy/unflexible firewall, I tend to just disable them. This is so that I am sure that firewall is not blocking my game/BT. With RouterOS, will I be able to achieve firewall and gaming/BT with some firewall tweaking?
Honestly my ultimate goal is to I simply just like to play Titanfall while downloading torrents while streaming YouTube without any problems. Any combo/suggestions are also welcome.
PS: I don't mind going through the steep learning curve of RouterOS, but I want to make sure that it is suitable for my usage.
Here's some extended question not related to the above topic:
In the near future, I wish to implement WiFi Roaming/WiFi Mesh/seamless Roaming throughout my house. I've tried this using my existing N16 and a random SMC router in bridge mode. I've done everything suggested online: set same SSID, set same security, set different channels. But there is no roaming, only disconnect and reconnect after 5 minutes of very unbearable internet experience. I came across Ubiquiti APs and they seem to do exactly what I want: VOIP/download local file/watch youtube while jumping from one AP to another without interruption.
1) If I get a CRS125-24G-1S-IN and 2 Ubiquiti APs, will I be able to what I described?
2) Will I be able to do seamless roaming with CRS125-24G-1S-2HnD-IN and RT-N16?
3) How is the wireless function on CRS125-24G-1S-2HnD-IN? From what I've gathered here and there on the internet, wireless is not MikroTik's strongest field.