ik3umt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Routerboard maintenance over VPLS tunnel

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi all, new to this forum,

I set up a two wireless link (three routerboard) A----B----C

AB link has a /30 IP class as the BC has a different one (on wlan)
A,B and C has a /32 class "lobridge" interface
A VPLS tunnel is established between A and C to make LANtoLAN link to be trasparent ( /24 192.168.0.0 usual class) , routing by endpoint through WLAN is done by OSPF.
Three devices ethernet HAS NO IP address assigned.
All is working OK , all machines at the tunnel ends are communicating on L2

Now my need is to reach by IP every single routerboard for maintenance, possibly each with an IP of the same /24 transparent class
Also on "B" device ethernet will be connected again a same /24 class machine to be reached from the "A" side PCs

What is the best solution to achieve my needs ??

Should I assign one of the /24 class IP address to each of three ETH without binding ??? Would it break the VPLS mechanism ??
Should I create a second VPLS tunnel between A and B to make ETH-A to ETH-B transparent ?
Should I use best a different IP class to assign to each device (also a virtual interface routed through OSPF) to be used for maintenance only ?

Thank you for any suggestion you can give me.

jkarras
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Routerboard maintenance over VPLS tunnel

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:47 am

Why not just connect to your loopback addresses they are there for that kind of thing.

ik3umt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:23 pm

Why not just connect to your loopback addresses they are there for that kind of thing.
Ok , as the eth interfaces has no ip address, it is supposed I have to assign an alternative IP class to first device ethernet interface and declare it to the OSPF routing in order to reach all the loopbacks via routing
Also the same class has to be added to the maintenance PC ethernet and a static routing added to this PC to instruct that loopbacks can be reached via the first device ethernet address

Isn't it ??
Or...is there something simpler ??

Thank you

ik3umt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:21 am

As devices eth have no ip address, I suppose I must assign at least one IP address to one eth to be reached at ip level
If I assign to eth the same /24 class ip I want to make transparent through Vpls tunnel , it seems me the vpls mechanism brokes itself as this class goes routed through OSPF rather than tunneled via vpls
Probably the best choice is to add a different unused class ip address to the first device ethernet (to be configured as well on maintenance pc) and let them routed by OSPF to reach every single loopback interface.

Isn't it ??

Thank you

jkarras
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:01 pm

So your loopbacks should be a /32. They don't need more than one IP address so anything larger is just wasting IP addresses. To gain access to the loopbacks you will need an interface that is part of the connected/loopback OSPF routing domain used for your MPLS infrastructure. That or route leak your mgmt network that your PC lives on into the routing table that services your backbone.

ik3umt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:07 am

Clear, thanks