Community discussions

MikroTik App

cylent
Topic Author

considering purchasing a level 4 license .. quick question

Mon May 29, 2006 8:45 am

Hello!

I dont see an appropriate "General topic" forums so i am gonna throw this thread here in hopes it'll get a response.

I wasnt always a fan of RouterOS and to admit the truth i had trouble getting it to work right yesterday but i did and i have to say i like the new "Non pinkish" hotspot logon. of course i'll be changing it later.

i want to purchase the level 4 license which is for 45 dollars however i noticed when i reinstalled yesterday i got a new key every time i reinstalled.

in the event that I do reinstall will the key i buy work with any key when i reinstall?

thanks.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon May 29, 2006 9:02 am

first - why do you reinstall without a reason? second - how do you reinstall? proper reinstall does not change SoftID. Use Netinstall. The problem could also be with the demo mode. Demo mode will not try to preserve the SoftID because there is no reason to.

cylent
Topic Author

Mon May 29, 2006 9:07 am

i am not in demo mode.

i reinstalled yesterday and noticed the softid changed when i reinstalled.

i am using CDinstall

my qusetion is right now everything is working. if i purcahse a key for the softid i have now and maybe in the future i reinstall will they key work for the new softid or something.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon May 29, 2006 9:13 am

after purchase your key will work all the time and there will be no need for reinstall. if you wish to reset configuration and start from scratch, there is a special command for that. softid will not change if you use netinstall for installation.

cylent
Topic Author

Mon May 29, 2006 9:18 am

my point is what if i dont use netinstall ?

thanks

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon May 29, 2006 9:38 am

it should stay and not change, but i still don't see any reason for reinstalling.

advantz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 29, 2006 9:57 am

when using cdinstall choose 'yes' when asked "keep old configuration"

mip
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 29, 2006 3:51 pm

when using cdinstall choose 'yes' when asked "keep old configuration"
And what if he forgot his pass, and thats why he need reinstall?
Anywhay, who cares why he wants to do? He bought that soft, and want to use it ont that comp. Thats the point and not the reason of reinstall.
I use mt for years, and no trouble with keys even I kept old config or not.

xxiii
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 31, 2006 1:37 am

What occurs to me is that hardware from time to time can and does break, and that could a reason for a reinstall (and also a reason the softid might change).

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 31, 2006 8:42 am

if any of your hardware breaks, you don't need to reinstall. only the hard drive could cause problems. simply use good quality harddrive or compact flash. we and many of our customers have routers runing for years, without a single problem. RouterOS almost doesn't write anything to HDD unless you use proxy. and if you want proxy, use a second hdd for that. When you want to build a reliable router, you have to think ahead, to avoid any of these problems.