Community discussions

MikroTik App

gnulab
Topic Author

Winbox: could not create file

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:51 am

Hi,

I tried logging into Mikrotik via Winbox v3.0b3. It gives me error message ERROR: Could not create file.

I've tried running it as Administrator and it still comes out with that error message.

I've tried googling for this problem, no answer comes up. What is missing?

Thank you
Henry

emil31
just joined

Re: Winbox: could not create file

Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:31 pm

Hello,

I have the same error with winbox 3.0beta3 and 3.0rc6, the version of routeuros is 5.25.

Thank You.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:03 am

Use winbox 2.x instead of the unstable v. 3

brainz
just joined

Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:02 pm

Since you try running as administrator and your OS still stops winbox from creating file then I guess you have install another OS

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:23 am

don't use BETA

use RC which is much better

This one http://download2.mikrotik.com/routeros/ ... winbox.exe

mirbo
just joined

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:08 am

any body can solve this issue .???
i have this issue , please help me .

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:55 am

any body can solve this issue .???
i have this issue , please help me .
This topic is pretty old. What kind of issue do you have and what Winbox version are you using ?

mirbo
just joined

Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:02 pm

i resolve it
i have Kasper end point
and i stop this service and i can connect to router board

fbenavides
just joined

Mon May 15, 2017 10:37 pm

Every time happen this problem i have to reinstall all the SO of my windows OS
I check with all the version of winbox 3.X
ERROR: Could not create file.

can you tell me how can i resolve this..?

amelec2
just joined

Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:04 am

I could resolve the problem executing winbox.exe as administrator.
:D

WirtelPL

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:58 pm

Check your antivirus settings -> ransomware protection. Maybe it blocks access to folders when WinBox create files.
WinBox must have access to folder:
c:\users\USERNAME\appdata\roaming\mikrotik\winbox\6.41-3395350936

(WinBox: 3.11, ROS: 6.41 current)

STEPHANVS
just joined

Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:27 am

Check your antivirus settings -> ransomware protection. Maybe it blocks access to folders when WinBox create files.
WinBox must have access to folder:
c:\users\USERNAME\appdata\roaming\mikrotik\winbox\6.41-3395350936

(WinBox: 3.11, ROS: 6.41 current)
Had this problem today. My windows profile was once corrupt, and was located to C:\Users\TEMP. Though I solved the issue back then, this setting was still present today in several registry entries.
Winbox tried to access c:\users\TEMP\appdata\roaming\mikrotik\winbox unsuccessfully. Once the registry entries were fixed, Winbox was able to save the current configuration to the proper profile folder without admin rights.

lindend
just joined

Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Had this problem today. My windows profile was once corrupt, and was located to C:\Users\TEMP. Though I solved the issue back then, this setting was still present today in several registry entries.
Winbox tried to access c:\users\TEMP\appdata\roaming\mikrotik\winbox unsuccessfully. Once the registry entries were fixed, Winbox was able to save the current configuration to the proper profile folder without admin rights.
Just ran into this problem. After an Win 10 update, I got some profile errors logging in. Rebooted and everything was restored to normal except Winbox complains that it can't create a file.

If I run as an administrator, the program works. I'd rather not have to run as an admin. Do you remember what registry keys needed to be updated? I searched the registry and couldn't find any appdata registry related errors.

Also, is there any way to complete reset Winbox so its settings are cleared?

Stream
just joined

Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:28 am

Just ran into this problem. After an Win 10 update, I got some profile errors logging in. Rebooted and everything was restored to normal except Winbox complains that it can't create a file.

If I run as an administrator, the program works. I'd rather not have to run as an admin. Do you remember what registry keys needed to be updated? I searched the registry and couldn't find any appdata registry related errors.

Also, is there any way to complete reset Winbox so its settings are cleared?
Hello. Winbox 3.16 create session files inside "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Mikrotik\Winbox".
In my case, after happened user profile corruption, MS Windows removed "C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop" directory.
I just created Desktop folder and setup full access permission for me and system user.

xeonforcecz
just joined

Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:17 am

When problem with sessions then do not detele anything.

Just open the folder %appdata%\Mikrotik\Winbox and there you can see file "sessionpath". Open that with text editor and edit the path to correct one.

MarcusH
just joined

Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:17 am

Just ran into that problem as well. This happened because I changed the my home directory on Windows. Apparently the Winbox app accesses the following registry entry to check for the location of the session folder:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\AppData

The AppData folder still had the old home directory stored. Worked without rebooting, just restart Winbox.

For the interested, I figured it out by using the Sysinternals Process Monitor from Microsoft.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... ds/procmon

I hope this helps someone.

Helix751
just joined

Sun May 16, 2021 4:00 am

Thank you! This actually solved my cAP ac issue and also a previous problem in my current Windows installation due to messed up paths in the Shell Folders keys in registry (after, too, changing User folders locations). Glad I came up with this thread.

Montecri
just joined

Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:30 am

Just ran into that problem as well. This happened because I changed the my home directory on Windows. Apparently the Winbox app accesses the following registry entry to check for the location of the session folder:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\AppData

The AppData folder still had the old home directory stored. Worked without rebooting, just restart Winbox.

For the interested, I figured it out by using the Sysinternals Process Monitor from Microsoft.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... ds/procmon

I hope this helps someone.
Thank you, man! Had the exact same issue here and your post solved it!!

Hope the Winbox developers notice that and fix the code to seek an alternate method of saving the config file in cases like this.

Regards,

- Cristiano