Community discussions

MikroTik App

blougaville
Topic Author

VLAN Trunk Between Mikrotik CCR and Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch

Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:00 am

I'm trying to create a simple trunk to pass VLANs between my new CCR1009-8G-1S-1S+ and a 48-port Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch and I'm having a really hard time. I've read that you can do the VLAN tagging with the switch ports on the CCR but that is just confusing me further and I can't even get it working the old fashioned way that's always worked for me.

CCR:

vlan8 on interface ether5 - vlan8 interface added to bridge8
bridge8 has ip and dhcp server: 192.168.8.0/24

EdgeSwitch:
Default is VLAN1 for management.

1) Create VLAN8
2) On Port Configuration page, include VLAN 8 TAGGED on port 0/1
3) On Port Summary page, set PVID of 8 on port 0/2

This SHOULD give me a trunk port from port 0/1 of the EdgeSwitch to ether5 on the Mikrotik and EdgeSwitch port 0/2 as an access port untagged direct to VLAN8, but when I plug in a laptop to port 0/2 I do not get an IP from the DHCP on the Mikrotik. Has anyone had success trunking between Mikrotik and Ubiquiti?

43north
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: VLAN Trunk Between Mikrotik CCR and Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch

Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:53 am

Yes in fact I created a step by step guide for this specific hardware pairing..... email me at mike(at)43index.com and I will forward you the Word document. I had no problems getting it setup and working just as you are describing. You don't need to tag the VLAN on the Mikrotik end, only on the Edgeswitch.

You mentioned setting the trunk port however you don't mention any VLAN IDs for the other ports on your switch that you are trying to pull an address from. Remember the trunk port is just a port to carry your VLANs between the switch and the router. You do not plug in your client devices into the trunk port....

Edit: Sorry I re-read your post and see where you describe port #2. Yes if you untag port 2 and put in the appropriate PVID then you should pull an address from the VLAN pool.

RackKing

Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:35 am

I am in same situation with an edge switch - how did you get this working - cant figure out how to create a trunk port. All the VLans are setup in the CCR. I am using UAPs to tag via SSID.

any help appreciated.

normalcy

Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:27 am

Yes in fact I created a step by step guide for this specific hardware pairing..... email me at mike(at)43index.com and I will forward you the Word document. I had no problems getting it setup and working just as you are describing. You don't need to tag the VLAN on the Mikrotik end, only on the Edgeswitch.
I would also like to see what you did, as we will have similar situation with edgeswitch soon. Any chance of posting steps in the forum, or wiki?

Cheers.

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:36 am

I've read that you can do the VLAN tagging with the switch ports on the CCR but that is just confusing me further
And with good reason...CRS devices have switch chips, but CCR devices do not. On a CCR, every interface is discrete and handled directly by the SoC.

I'm afraid I have no experience with EdgeSwitch, but the configuration you propose for the CCR looks fine. The only thing I would say is that on switches that I have had experience with that employ the "PVID" concept, setting the PVID on a port that you want to untag a given VLAN on is typically not enough...PVID takes care of ingress (making sure incoming untagged packets on that port get tagged internally with the appropriate VLAN ID before getting forwarded elsewhere), but you also still need to make that port a member of the VLAN so that the switch knows to forward packets from that VLAN to that port for egress, and configure it to untag packets headed for that port from that VLAN. So the problem on the EdgeSwitch config might not be with the trunk port itself, but with the access port.

-- Nathan

43north
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:58 am

NathanA hit the nail on the head with his explanation of the access port config on the Edgeswitch. Shoot me an email to get my Edgeswitch guide....

blougaville
Topic Author

Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:46 am

Thanks for the replies. Here are the steps I did to get the Mikrotik and Edgeswitch to pass VLANs correctly:

On the Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch
1) Create VLANs that you wish to pass from your Mikrotik
2) On Port Configuration page, include VLANs TAGGED on your trunk port(s)
3) On Port Configuration page, include VLANs untagged for your access ports (as per Nathans suggestion)
4) On Port Summary page, set PVID to the same VLAN you included untagged for your access ports in the last step

I also had a lot of trouble changing the EdgeSwitch management VLAN and found help from MountainPatrick's tips in this thread: http://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeSwitch ... -p/1098759

RackKing

Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:12 pm

So - I very much appreciate your efforts - but cannot get his to take.... Any feedback would be appreciated, I am probably missing something simple. This management vlan is confusing to me.
Here is my 192.168.x.x setup on my CCR1016

.10 network - VLAN 10
.20 network - VLAN 20
.30 network - VLAN 30
.40 network - VLAN 40
.50 network - this is my hardware network with the EdgeSwitch and Unifi Server in it. (ether5)

the .10 - .40 VLANs are tied to the separate SSIDs on the UAP Pro.
my trunk port = 48
my AP Pro port =15
Unifi Server port = 1

<<<< Your instructions with questions... By access ports below - do you mean access point ports ?

1) Create VLANs that you wish to pass from your Mikrotik - I did this on the status page = 10,20,30,40
2) On Port Configuration page, include VLANs TAGGED on your trunk port(s) = 0/48 10,20,30,40 INCLUDED AND TAGGED
3) On Port Configuration page, include VLANs untagged for your access ports (as per Nathans suggestion) = 0/15 10,20,30,40 INCLUDED AND UNTAGGED
4) On Port Summary page, set PVID to the same VLAN you included untagged for your access ports in the last step = ????? 0/15 PVID 10?? there is not way to put more than one PVID on there.

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

43north
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:11 pm

On your VLAN ports.... not only are you setting the specific VLAN number to untagged are you also EXCLUDING all other VLANs etc off of that access port? Access port is simply the switch port that connects to an end client (ie desktop, laptop, access point, printer etc.)

RackKing

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:42 pm

thank you for the clarification on the access points - if the PVID is default at 1 does it need to be changed?

43north
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:51 am

PVID on the access port needs to match whichever VLAN you want running through that access port. Make sense?

RackKing

Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:25 pm

not really .... if my VLANs are 10,20,30,40 - are you saying the pvid needs to be the same? pvid 10,20,30,40?

1) Create VLANs that you wish to pass from your Mikrotik - I did this on the status page = 10,20,30,40
2) On Port Configuration page, include VLANs TAGGED on your trunk port(s) = 0/48 10,20,30,40 INCLUDED AND TAGGED
3) On Port Configuration page, include VLANs untagged for your access ports (as per Nathans suggestion) = 0/15 10,20,30,40 INCLUDED AND UNTAGGED
4) On Port Summary page, set PVID to the same VLAN you included untagged for your access ports in the last step = ????? 0/15 PVID 10?? there is not way to put more than one PVID on there.

this is what I am thinking the procedure is - it is step 4 that I don't understand. I cannot see a way to add more than one pvid - if that is what I am supposed to do.

43north
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:45 am

Okay you can not have an access port with more than one VLAN. Only your trunk ports are passing multiple VLANS between switches and routers. Your access port is your "final destination" for a specific VLAN but you can only run one untagged VLAN per access port. What is the problem or error that you are still getting with the config that has been lined out?

RackKing

Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:57 pm

First thanks 43 for your help -

I have followed the instructions exactly - and no necessarily getting an error. I just cannot get an IP address from the router to the wireless client.

Here is my setup - perhaps more clear.

On the CCR1016 I have 4 VLANs setup with DHCP servers, addresses, bridges, etc... to interface ether5. I have used this several times in the past with success. This is the same setup as described in the first post for his vlans. If I plug a single UAP into this port and connect the to the 4 VLAN'd SSIDs - the wireless client will get a dhcp address from the correct subnet. So, this is working the way I would expected it to.

Now enter the EdgeSwtich.

1. On the VLAN status page I created 10,20,30,40
2. On the port configuration page for trunk port 0/48 VLAN INCLUDED and TAGGED 10,20,30,40 - VLAN 1 is included by default
3. On the port configuration page for the access "end port" 0/15 INCLUDE and UNTAGGED 10,20,30,40 - VLAN 1 is still included, tagged and included by default
4. I have made not changes on the port summary page - it is still default PVID 1

It is step 4 that does not make sense to me. ALL my VLANs still need to pass from the trunk port to the access port as the UAP is doing the tagging by SSID. I do not need the access port to do any tagging, but I get it needs to be member of the VLAN to pass the tag. I have also tried turning 0/15 into a trunk port, but that did not work either.

Thanks for helping - this making me crazy. We have used Planet and Cisco POE switches with no issues, I took a chance with the EdgeSwitch and am paying the price for my ignorance. It just seemed like a perfect fit with this project and the number of APs going in.

I was also hoping blougaville would chime in again as he has it working - I just wonder what he is doing that I am not....

Thanks again.

43north
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:55 pm

AHHHH! If you are connecting Unifi Access Points with VLANs those must be TAGGED!!! Switch all your UAPs to TAGGED and you should be in business!

So to clarify..... Your trunk ports sound great. Also any access ports should be UNTAGGED but your UNIFI ports need to be TAGGED. Leave the PVID alone on the UNIFI ports. So in a way you it is almost like setting up additional trunk lines on your Unifi ports. Let me know what you find out.

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:31 pm

I think RackKing's confusion here is a simple matter of terminology and definitions. By convention, any port that has multiple VLANs tagged on it is called a "trunk port". An "access port" is a port that is only on a SINGLE VLAN which is UNTAGGED, and an "access port" typically has a single end-user device (computer, etc.) plugged into it, not another piece of infrastructure. So by those definitions, in the configuration that RackKing is proposing, where there is a MikroTik router, a UniFi AP, and a switch in between those two devices, there are no access ports and you don't want to untag anything. You are in fact "trunking" multiple VLANs through the switch between two pieces of network infrastructure: the router and the AP. Technically, the AP itself, and not the switch, is the device providing (wireless) "access ports" in the form of the various SSIDs that each VLAN that you are trunking to the AP is getting untagged on.

-- Nathan

43north
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:43 am

Exactly!! Thanks Nathan for explaining more gracefully than I was. Great way to present it that the Unifi's are another trunk line and the wifi is essentially the access port. Hope Racking can get it lined out from here.

RackKing

Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:17 pm

A Nathan & 43 thank you both for the help.

@ Nathan you have descried what I am trying to achieve perfectly - but it simply does not work for me.

0/48 uplink trunk has VLANs 10,20,30,40 included and tagged and Default VLAN 1 included and untagged. This should mean the hardware on this is into the network of 192.168.50.x on either 5.
0/15 AP trunk port has VLANs 10,20,30,40 included and tagged and Default VLAN 1 included and untagged.

The strange thing is the second I add the vlans to the status page without assigning anything to ports I loose communication with the switch. I am cooked at this point. It sounds easy.... simple even.

43north
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:16 am

That is very strange. I am testing your setup and I to am running into the same problem as you with the VLAN..... very strange when connected to the Unifi AP. I have posted in Ubiquiti forum, will see if we get a response. I believe the setup is exactly how it should be, may be a software issue with Edgeswitch....

RackKing

Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:23 pm

at least I do not feel so crazy...... thanks 43 for your help

43north
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:08 am

Okay I have mine working!!! There was a thread this week on the Ubiquiti forum about this same problem. Looks like they rolled out a new Alpha firmware yesterday that now includes a VLAN wizard. It is muuuuch easier to configure the VLANs now and it is working great for me now!

Here is a link to that thread. Scroll to the bottom where the guys posts a link to the alpha firmware. If you are not a member of their Beta program you will have to sign up. Or just email me and I can email you the 14mb firmware file. Hope to hear good news from you about this Rackking.

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeSwitch ... 5867#M1745

RackKing

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:46 am

Hi 43 - again thanks for your continued help. I cannot get mine to work. What settings are you using?

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:57 pm

Looks like they rolled out a new Alpha firmware yesterday that now includes a VLAN wizard. It is muuuuch easier to configure the VLANs now and it is working great for me now!
Can you compare the configuration that the new VLAN wizard generates for you to what you were doing before to see what the difference is?

-- Nathan

43north
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:35 pm

Here is my Edgeswitch settings. Very basic and straight forward. Trunk port set on port 1, port 2 is UAP port. You can see VLANS attached accordingly..... This is working great for me now. If this doesn't work then possibly some Tik settings? I did not do any other configs on the switch, left PVID all to default settings. I just used this wizard and it works.

As far as comparing the settings from before the new firmware? Well the settings are the same, I believe it was a bug... The wizard config is new and automates some of the other settings that I would manually have to put in before. That is why I mention not to mess with the PVID tab at all in this situation.

Capture1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RackKing

Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:20 pm

So..... mercifully I have tracked down the problem/issue. A big thanks to 43north for throwing some time at this - he is a great guy.

To be clear - at the most basic level - when I had the Edgeswtich connected to a CCR port that was part of a bridge it would instantly become unavailable. As seen by 43north - when connected to the switch and adding the VLANs to the status page the switch would drop WITHOUT TAGGING ANY PORTS...... again almost any other device plugged into that same CCR port would work. Without changing any configuration on the CCR, I confirmed this with a UAP, unmanged switch with clients connected, Planet POE managed switch, and an older HP managed switch. These all worked without issue.

Again the moment I connected the EdgeSwtich all connectivity was lost... After a couple of weeks of banging my head against the wall and trying multiple configurations - I began taking some WAGs on the configuration pages on the Edge. As it turns out RSTP was the problem. The moment I disabled this everything worked as expected. Please understand I had no other ports on the Edgeswitch connected.

I hope this helps someone in the same situation as me. If anyone can shed some light as to the cause that would be great. Perhaps in later firmware this can be solved.

On a side note..... I am somewhat disappointed that no one from the Ubiquiti side had a clue, or really event attempted to help. I get how the support works, bla bla bla. But after PM'ing the mods for support in their forum, with others chiming in and the problem not solved - I would have thought it would be worth 15 mins of there time. I still think the edge - for the money - is a great product with a great feature set. But I lost a little faith in them and will not be so adventurous with new products.... That one is 100% on me.

Thanks again to all who helped. This is a great community of people. I hope this helps others.

Cheers

43north
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:10 am

@RackKing are you freakn kidding me!!!??? I think you even mentioned spanning tree when we were on the work session since others had mentioned it on the forum didn't you?

What is interesting to me is that we proved the Tik worked fine when not using bridges so the issue with RSTP is unique to using VLAN/Bridged setups on the Tiks. Works fine if we are just dealing with VLANs. Weird.

Glad you got it figured out. It will probably come in handy for me some day. So your client is all squared away now?

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:25 am

As it turns out RSTP was the problem. The moment I disabled this everything worked as expected.
Interesting. Did you disable it on the EdgeSwitch or in the CCR bridge config? What did the Bridge Status (/interface bridge monitor bridge1 once) for the bridge and the Bridge Port Status (/interface bridge port monitor [find] once) for the CCR port connected to the EdgeSwitch look like at the moment your communication with the EdgeSwitch was cut off? Also, I know RSTP is supposed to be 'R'apid and all, heh, and that there technically should have been no bridge loop possible at the time, but did you try waiting a minute or so after the switch became unresponsive to see if, for some strange reason, you just needed to wait for STP convergence to finish?

-- Nathan

RackKing

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:35 pm

@Nathan

I disabled this on the EdgeSwitch. As I was testing this and trying to figure out where the problem lies, I was pinging the edgeswitch. so RSTP was on for a long long time.....

@43 - yeap the bridges with RTSP did not play nice for sure.

Thanks guys.

lemonmagic

Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:34 pm

@RackKing - thank you so much!!
I was going mad with the EdgeSwitch.
My Problem was that the Trunk Port from my CRS was simply not working at all. I couldn't even manage to connect to the Edgeswitch itself through the Trunk Port. Disabling STP on the Edgeswitch solved the Problem.
The Trunk Port used in the Mikrotik was a slave Port, where all Vlans created within the Master Ether Interface.

thanks again.

CWDylan
just joined

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:19 pm

This fixed our problem as well, As soon as we would add the vlan to the edgeswitch lite and enable it on the mikrotik everything would stop working, Now it works fine after disabling STP on the switch.

RackKing

Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:42 pm

@RackKing - thank you so much!!
I was going mad with the EdgeSwitch.
My Problem was that the Trunk Port from my CRS was simply not working at all. I couldn't even manage to connect to the Edgeswitch itself through the Trunk Port. Disabling STP on the Edgeswitch solved the Problem.
The Trunk Port used in the Mikrotik was a slave Port, where all Vlans created within the Master Ether Interface.

thanks again.
Thanks !

pabloluvino
just joined

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:07 pm

You mentioned setting the trunk port however you don't mention any VLAN IDs for the other ports on your switch that you are trying to pull an address from. Remember the trunk port is just a port to carry your VLANs between the switch and the router. You do not plug in your client devices into the trunk port....

Edit: Sorry I re-read your post and see where you describe port #2. Yes if you untag port 2 and put in the appropriate PVID then you should pull an address from the VLAN pool.

Good afternoon.
Excuse my English, I do it with a translator because I'm from Argentina.
I read in a forum post mk that you have a word to configure vlan between mk and ubiquiti swich. It would be so kind to pass it to me.
Thank you very much.

43north
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:00 am

Send me an email, it is listed above.

pabloluvino
just joined

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:52 pm

Your email is mike(at)43index.com?

stheven
just joined

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:25 am

Could you please send me too this Word document?

Lokamaya
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:43 am

Send me an email, it is listed above.
I can not contact you at mike(at)43index.com.
Last edited by Lokamaya on Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.