Community discussions

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RouterOS v7.0 beta1 - when?

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:56 pm

Linus Towards launch Kernel 5.xx, happens probably this summer....
Maybe Mikrotik wait for kernel 5.x :)
LAN, FTTx, Wireless. ISP operator

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:06 pm

... Just to start waiting for the 6.x kernel...

mistry7
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:18 pm

All new products with IPQ have driver throughput problems, Mikrotik works with a back ported driver, it would be easier to use the origin one,
but it is only available for newer kernels...
here the delay takes its toll
It becomes more clear that the kernel has been so heavily modified that it is not so easy to upgrade it anymore.
This is of course always a tough decision: do you limit the kernel changes and try to forward them to the kernel development group, which will cause a lot of wasted time due to discussion about how to implement some feature, or do you just "fork" the kernel based on some version uptodate at that time, causing the problem there is now.
On the other hand, when you do all the work on a forked kernel, you are not affected by decisions like the dropping of TILE support in the kernel.
right, and then hang on old drivers, that is exactly what happend
The problem Beginns if you has to support up to date Hardware with this old software!
And now we are standing in the rain, Mikrotik has no timeline for Ros7, flawless ARM Wireless driver, Spectral Scan........

cheeze
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:35 am

I am still not sure why Mikrotik didn't go with IP Infusion....

CTSsean
just joined

Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:37 pm

DNF was released in 2011, so ...
so 15 years from version to version. Nice... so we only have another 11 years.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:12 am

I am still not sure why Mikrotik didn't go with IP Infusion....
That is not the problem.

The problem is getting a modern kernel that boots on all of the platforms while supporting hardware offloads.

Just my opinion...
http://thebrotherswisp.com/ | Mikrotik MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCINE | Fortinet FTCNA, FCNSP, FCT | Extreme Networks ENA

cheeze
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:19 am

That is not the problem.

The problem is getting a modern kernel that boots on all of the platforms while supporting hardware offloads.

Just my opinion...
To be honest, I think it's both. However I think what you bring up is likely more of the issue though.

I wonder if it's worth it for Mikrotik to just focus on like.....x86-64/ARM/TILE going forward. Not sure if the MIPS devices are still supported to be honest. I also have been hearing that TILE is no longer going to be a supported hardware platform. Which sucks.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:15 am

It was written several times here. Future versions of ros will be running on tilera further. Ros is not affected by this.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:29 am

RouterOS uses very little of open source code. MikroTik is in direct relationship with the CPU manufacturers. We use the official drivers and code. We don't use open source code.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

mistry7
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:44 am

RouterOS uses very little of open source code. MikroTik is in direct relationship with the CPU manufacturers. We use the official drivers and code. We don't use open source code.
Then explain the difficulty's with migrating on to newer Kernel.....

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:56 am

This is the difficulty :D If we were using all open source code, it would be easy to upgrade. Now we must only rely on ourselves to upgrade all programs.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

Vitis
just joined

Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:04 pm

This is the difficulty :D If we were using all open source code, it would be easy to upgrade. Now we must only rely on ourselves to upgrade all programs.
Do you have any timeline? We are waiting more than 4 year for the VRF support :?

lillecarl
just joined

Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:09 pm

Is RouterOS 7 going to ship a Linux kernel?

levicki
just joined

Tue May 01, 2018 11:56 am

MikroTik (just like Ubiquiti and many others for that matter) are depending on the hardware (CPU/chipset) manufacturer for major upgrades. Those manufacturers are the ones who provide SDK and drivers (the latter usually in binary form only due to patents), and those drivers cannot be loaded on newer kernel without recompile. If the manufacturer does not supply updated binaries and SDK they cannot update anything.

patrick7
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 18, 2018 3:13 pm

While I understand it needs some time to make good software, it's getting embarrassing with v7 (or its promised bugfixes). Since 2013 MikroTik promises to fix bugs with v7 (recursive ipv6 nexthops etc), and absolutely NOTHING happens. I'm sorry, but such a product is absolutely unsuitable for professional use.

Florian

Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:50 pm

To be fair, some of "wait for v7" problems were in fact corrected in v6.XX (like more options for DHCPv6 Server)

My theory is that they didn't plan to push v6 this far, and they realised that SOME of v7 features could be in fact in v6, so this "helped" delay V7.

Now, Mikrotik is not a small fish, but they're not Cisco or HPE/Aruba. If V7 is a major overhaul, I can't image the hour/man needed to do that.
- Sorry for my english -

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:17 pm

If V7 is a major overhaul, I can't image the hour/man needed to do that.
That is why it is often impractical to develop software that way.
Announcing a new version that is to be "rewritten from scratch" or similar claims usually results in failure.
Gradually developing new features and maybe rewriting some subsystems one at a time has more chance of succeeding.
Probably a chance to survive this mess is to make a release that aligns the kernel with a reasonably current version and
then work from there on replacement of the subsystems that were announced to be rewritten. However it will be impossible
to release such a change as "v7.0" because there will be a big flood of "you announced it will be fixed in v7 and now we have
v7 and it is still not fixed!" complaints. No idea how to work around that. Go to v8 immediately, change the version naming
(like Microsoft did many times) so it is e.g. called "RouterOS 2018" or "RouterOS Vista"?

Paternot

Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:28 pm

Probably a chance to survive this mess is to make a release that aligns the kernel with a reasonably current version and
then work from there on replacement of the subsystems that were announced to be rewritten. However it will be impossible
to release such a change as "v7.0" because there will be a big flood of "you announced it will be fixed in v7 and now we have
v7 and it is still not fixed!" complaints.
I agree that would be the best way to handle this.

About the problem of "You said it would be done on V7!": Make the version 7 a big announcement. Keep telling about the improvements the new kernel would bring. And - here is the thing - create a roadmap. Something like this:

V7.0 -> Inicial release. Low level kernel/drivers work.
V7.1 -> Subsystem "X" revamped.
V7.2 -> Subsystem "Y" revamped. Feature "Z" included. Long pending limitation "W" addressed.

Better than trying to deliver whole mythical unicorn. V7.X to V7.Y would be like V4.41.X to 6.42.X, in terms of time and development.

How about?

juliokato
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:06 pm

I just want to get an idea of how much this unicorn will give birth.
I apologize my grammatical errors, my english not so good, I am not a native speaker.
Wiki is maintained in English. I use Google translator. 8)

R1CH
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:17 pm

Why is Mikrotik so against using open source software? We would have working 802.11ac Wave2, 5 GHz spectral scan, OpenVPN UDP support, more secure smbd, httpd, etc if Mikrotik would stop re-inventing everything in-house and use well-tested open source software. You could combine open source kernel with proprietary modules for hardware offloading etc in much the same way NVIDIA provides proprietary Linux graphics drivers for their chips.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:26 pm

One reason is probably that when you use opensource software and keep tracking all the updates, you end up with more and more bloated software that does not fit into a space-limited router anymore.
It works fine on the PC platform where space and other resource usage (CPU) has grown with the code, but on embedded hardware it is a bit more difficult.
Remember the current routers mostly have only 16MB of flash space!
(the previous generation usually had 128MB which was a bit more generous, but to store generic opensouce software for all functions you would need more like 512MB-1GB in my experience)

Paternot

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:48 pm

One reason is probably that when you use opensource software and keep tracking all the updates, you end up with more and more bloated software that does not fit into a space-limited router anymore.
It works fine on the PC platform where space and other resource usage (CPU) has grown with the code, but on embedded hardware it is a bit more difficult.
(the previous generation usually had 128MB which was a bit more generous, but to store generic opensouce software for all functions you would need more like 512MB-1GB in my experience)
I don't see all this bloat. Well, not at where we talking: low level, kernel, drivers and servers. Take a look at the RaspberryPi: Full OpenSource, ARM, Linux kernel. This is fdisk usage from one I have access to (default install, with graphic desktop and full updated).

df -h
Sist. Arq. Tam. Usado Disp. Uso% Montado em
/dev/root 15G 4,6G 9,4G 33% /
devtmpfs 370M 0 370M 0% /dev
tmpfs 375M 0 375M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 375M 9,9M 365M 3% /run
tmpfs 5,0M 4,0K 5,0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 375M 0 375M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1 41M 22M 20M 53% /boot
tmpfs 75M 0 75M 0% /run/user/1002
tmpfs 75M 0 75M 0% /run/user/1001

I am using 4,6GiB of disk space. Not that bad.

True, it doesn't have OpenVPN and everything else installed - but it would not use more than 1 GiB. Even if it used 3 more GiB: It would be still using less than ROS.

So, no. To me is more about control. If they build it, they can guarantee the software through the expected life cycle of the product.

If it is a good idea, if this costs less resources than going full OpenSource, if the competitive advantage is worth the trouble (even if there is one or not) is another problem - and a strategical decision to Mikrotik.

Wyz4k
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:37 pm

3GB is less than ROS? ROS is 20-40MB...

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:05 pm

True, it doesn't have OpenVPN and everything else installed - but it would not use more than 1 GiB. Even if it used 3 more GiB: It would be still using less than ROS.
I think you somehow are confusing MB and GB here. Quite common these days!

juliokato
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:17 pm

many people also confuse bit (b) and byte (B) for traffic analysis.
I apologize my grammatical errors, my english not so good, I am not a native speaker.
Wiki is maintained in English. I use Google translator. 8)

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:36 pm

many people also confuse bit (b) and byte (B) for traffic analysis.
many people think that if 1 megabyte = 1024 kilobytes, then 1 megabit per second = 1024 kilobits per second :)
Russian-speaking forum: http://forum.mikrotik.by. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

¡ɹǝ|SOɹǝʇnoɹ ʞıʇoɹʞıW ɯ‚|

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

Paternot

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:58 pm

I think you somehow are confusing MB and GB here. Quite common these days!
LOL True enough. Things move so fast, we lost track of these things. Nowadays we carry in the pocket a mobile with 4GiB of RAM - and my first computer had 16KiB of RAM... Sometimes is enough to make lost track of things... :D

R1CH
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:22 pm

I don't really buy this argument. Linksys, DLINK, etc all use open source software and have no issues selling $50 routers with enough disk space to support all these packages. With good compilation options and stripping of binaries it's possible to get very small versions of many popular packages. And as you say, Mikrotik used to have plenty of disk space with their products, only recently have they been skimping on the NAND size.

brotherdust
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:24 am

I think @levicki is correct about being beholden to the manufacturer's release cadences. Most manufacturers of embedded networking kit are still hanging out on kernel 3.x. It's really annoying! If any manufacturer is reading this: STOP DOING OUT-OF-LINE KERNEL RELEASES. UPSTREAM YOUR CHANGES.

I digress...
In terms of features, at release, ROS 6 was in the unique position of supporting some fairly advanced scenarios; but these had to be developed in-house. Since that time, much effort (and a LOT of money) has been put in to the Linux network stack, especially in the v4.x series. As a result, vanilla Linux kernel can do almost everything ROS can do, and more besides. ROS can't leverage those developments unless they backport the features from v4 kernel to v3 kernel, because most manufacturer SDK's are, as mentioned previously, still stuck in kernel v3-land.

So, all this to answer the question, "When?" My gut tells me that it won't happen until it's more painful to maintain ROS v6 than it is to start over and leverage open-source efforts better. As ROS v6 continues to age, use-cases in [newer, more complex, software-driven] environments will shrink; to the point where it's only useful for very small providers, small business, and home users.

From where I'm standing, as a service provider, the competitive landscape is changing rapidly. To survive, I must be able to offer new services my customers are demanding as quickly as possible. Right now, my biggest limiting factor in delivering those services is RouterOS. I really, really love RouterOS, but it's not growing with me and, sadly, I don't think Mikrotik is all that interested in what we have to say.

Evidence:
- Numerous attempts to solicit ideas for future products from the forum community (see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=121533&hilit=flagship+router), then basically ignoring it and going a different direction
- Continued focus on last-mile and switching-type devices and software supporting said devices
- Inability and/or unwillingness to maintain a coherent feature request list (see: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UNMS-Feat ... reRequests as an example of how to do it better) that the community can vote/provide feedback on

Am I wrong? Possibly. I'm trying to be as objective as I can in this analysis; but I'll admit I'm at the point of "believe-it-when-you-see-it".

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:10 am

I agree with almost everything @brotherdust has said above, his comments match my own feelings on the current state of Mikrotik.

I have been a huge fan of Mikrotik's RouterOS, but I am using it less and less. The service provider market has kept evolving but RouterOS has not evolved with it.

Mikrotik had a lot of momentum with RouterOS and Service Provider features, e.g. they moved from Quagga to their own Routing engine and added MPLS features during the 3.x and 4.x phase, and then it all just stopped during the 5.x phase. That was over 7 years ago now!

Mikrotik's sales are growing and they are focusing on the areas where they see growth, but that does not mean long term success.

This reminds me somewhat of Toyota thinking they could keep growing by making variations of the Corolla and Camry, so they stopped producing cars like the Celica and Supra, but what they did not realise was that while sales volumes for the Celica and Supra were low, they were the "hero" cars that were attracting buyers to the brand... The result, Toyota, from #1 to #6...

The Service Provider features like BGP, OSPF, MPLS, BNG (PPP/DHCP) are the "Hero" features of RouterOS...
http://thebrotherswisp.com/ | Mikrotik MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCINE | Fortinet FTCNA, FCNSP, FCT | Extreme Networks ENA

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:07 pm

If any manufacturer is reading this: STOP DOING OUT-OF-LINE KERNEL RELEASES. UPSTREAM YOUR CHANGES.
Well, sometimes those changes are simply not accepted into kernel :)
Russian-speaking forum: http://forum.mikrotik.by. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

¡ɹǝ|SOɹǝʇnoɹ ʞıʇoɹʞıW ɯ‚|

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

patrick7
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:38 pm

2 years ago I had CCRs running in 3 locations. Now all CCRs have been replaced with debian+FRR boxes. Are much better (features, open source), and the price is +- the same.
The only mikrotik device I'm still using is a small CRS at home.

brotherdust
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:15 pm

I agree with almost everything @brotherdust has said above, his comments match my own feelings on the current state of Mikrotik.

I have been a huge fan of Mikrotik's RouterOS, but I am using it less and less. The service provider market has kept evolving but RouterOS has not evolved with it.

Mikrotik had a lot of momentum with RouterOS and Service Provider features, e.g. they moved from Quagga to their own Routing engine and added MPLS features during the 3.x and 4.x phase, and then it all just stopped during the 5.x phase. That was over 7 years ago now!

Mikrotik's sales are growing and they are focusing on the areas where they see growth, but that does not mean long term success.

This reminds me somewhat of Toyota thinking they could keep growing by making variations of the Corolla and Camry, so they stopped producing cars like the Celica and Supra, but what they did not realise was that while sales volumes for the Celica and Supra were low, they were the "hero" cars that were attracting buyers to the brand... The result, Toyota, from #1 to #6...

The Service Provider features like BGP, OSPF, MPLS, BNG (PPP/DHCP) are the "Hero" features of RouterOS...
What it really boils down to is management decision to go where the money is. This is not unexpected or really all that surprising. Apple does the same thing. What's troubling is that they are effectively alienating some of their fiercest advocates, service providers, in the same way Apple is alienating their professional customers. From where I stand, it's a short-sighted and frustrating turn of events; especially since they aren't really communicating this change in strategy to their customers (maybe in shareholder meetings, but I'm not privy to those).

I think what angers me the most is they aren't willing to fess up and stop leading their service provider customers on with false hope of being able to deliver the features we need. I'm willing to be patient, to bend over backwards, but only if expectations are clearly communicated. If they can't deliver, they should explain why, and set new expectations. It's that simple. =/ Is that too much to ask?

brotherdust
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:16 pm

If any manufacturer is reading this: STOP DOING OUT-OF-LINE KERNEL RELEASES. UPSTREAM YOUR CHANGES.
Well, sometimes those changes are simply not accepted into kernel :)
That's a fair point. It's not a simple matter to get those changes accepted. But that begs the question: if they're being denied, why? Maybe write better code? =)

PtDragon
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:23 pm

Dear MikroTik team!
Can we have some info on v7 progress?
Like "Release possible this year" or like "Release can be in next few years roughly" or "Don't even wait for it until 10-15 years".
You know in which state your code is, right?
And we still do not have any info at all so year after year we wait it blindly.
CCR1036-12G-4S +6x100Mbit ^_^

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:29 pm

Why to wait for something that none knows anything about it?

jspool

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:08 pm

I'm more excited that they are hiring Android & iOS programmers as well as mobile application WEB application programmers. Some native management apps would be very nice.
https://darbs.mikrotik.com/darbs/

When they are ready they will release the newer RouterOS. Their new building is more conducive to their growing needs and should allow them to evolve to the needs of the industries they serve.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:17 am

Unfortunately they are not seeking the persons they need the most: the security engineers.

z1022
just joined

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:42 pm

We will release a beta, when it will exist. Currently v7 is in alpha stage, many functions are not completed and non functional. Beta needs at least all functions to be somewhat operational.
waiting for three year la

paoloaga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:34 pm

It seems that releasing a complete RouterOS v7 is a very complex task.

What if Mikrotik publishes new release branches? Something like:

Legacy-v5 - Stable-v6 - Current-v6 - Daily-v6 - Current-v7 - Daily-v7

V7 can be published starting with a minimal set of features. Who needs the complete set can install v6-current, who needs v7 features (like ipv6 recursive next hop) but doesn't need other things can optionally install v7.

Vooray
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:43 pm

Hmm.. heared that U named company released linux 4 based firmware for their routers. Just to mention.

And, as i heared u can have frr on it.
No hands on that equipment, but i keep my eye on it.

And, as i track linux kernel changes, some descent work has been done in networking stack by guys from 6wind and cumulus.

So, mikrotik team, you have a chance. Or had?

huntermic
just joined

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:01 pm

Hmm.. heared that U named company released linux 4 based firmware for their routers. Just to mention.

And, as i heared u can have frr on it.
No hands on that equipment, but i keep my eye on it.

And, as i track linux kernel changes, some descent work has been done in networking stack by guys from 6wind and cumulus.

So, mikrotik team, you have a chance. Or had?
This makes me seriously thinking about goin back to this U named company, the lack of news on the great version 7 with support for 'old' thing like wave2 support and serious ipv6 support for instance. The Mikrotik hadware is capable but the software is limping on this hardware. Shame on Mikrotik for not even ging us an indication on how far development is. I'm done waiting.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:39 pm

This makes me seriously thinking about goin back to this U named company, the lack of news on the great version 7 with support for 'old' thing like wave2 support and serious ipv6 support for instance. The Mikrotik hadware is capable but the software is limping on this hardware. Shame on Mikrotik for not even ging us an indication on how far development is. I'm done waiting.
The problem is that the U named company has so few options for routers, and so little router functionality in WiFi equipment.

huntermic
just joined

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:30 pm

The problem is that the U named company has so few options for routers, and so little router functionality in WiFi equipment.
The real issue is lack of clarity. No communication or anything to keep us posted on the progress of the new kernel version. ( they call it version 7 but that's just a number ).
All they say is 'hey we have hardware that can do this, only the software can't but we will fix that in the next version, 7. But we might keep you waiting for many years'

ofer
just joined

Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:57 pm

from what I'm seeing from a business perspective there is no point pushing for the mythical v7 as long as the v6 still sells well
Mikrotik doesn't see v7 as a priority because v6 still sells.
when v6 will become a deterring factor we will see v7 being worked on seriously until that day comes don't expect to see any major investment in v7
you should all that this is the way things are v6 is available as is because there is no official word about v7 or future roadmap take that to consideration when buying Mikrotik products.

v7 the eternal alpha will be a unicorn until maintaining v6 will cost more than developing a new one

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Except when v6 will become a deterring factor, it will be too late. It isn't easy to fix damaged reputation.

mistry7
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:26 pm

from what I'm seeing from a business perspective there is no point pushing for the mythical v7 as long as the v6 still sells well
Mikrotik doesn't see v7 as a priority because v6 still sells.
when v6 will become a deterring factor we will see v7 being worked on seriously until that day comes don't expect to see any major investment in v7
you should all that this is the way things are v6 is available as is because there is no official word about v7 or future roadmap take that to consideration when buying Mikrotik products.

v7 the eternal alpha will be a unicorn until maintaining v6 will cost more than developing a new one
the customers answer of missing features, don't buy it

mirhav
just joined

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:51 pm

After these years, I do not expect any serious answers to come from the Mikrotik. .... Ubiquity is much more flexible in communication ... another region, another morality

alidamji
just joined

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:12 pm

V7 beta seems to be already in development. You can see mrz's post:

viewtopic.php?t=130551

Seems to be v7beta running on Virtualbox.

buset1974
just joined

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:49 pm

After these years, I do not expect any serious answers to come from the Mikrotik. .... Ubiquity is much more flexible in communication ... another region, another morality
true endeed