Zwodka
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Second internet connection over second RB

Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:04 am

Hi All,

Need some help. Ther is a 3-storey house:
- basement: RB 2011UiAs-2HnD-IN acts as router + AP + switch (Raps1)
- ground floor: RB 951Ui-2HnD acts as AP (Ap2)
- first floor: RB 951Ui-2HnD acts as AP (Ap3)
"Raps1" has a xDSL connection. Raised the possibility of a second connection with a 3G/4G-USB stick. The 3G/4G signal strength is very weak in the basement but it's good at the firts floor nad very good at the loft. We would like to use the 3G/4G as a second connection over the "Raps1". If we connect the 3G/4G-USB stick to the "Ap3" can we use/handle it with the "Raps1" over ethernet? Or we have to use an USB Over Ethernet Adapter to direct connetion to the "Raps1"? Unfortunately there is only one ethernet to the first floor :-(

Thanx

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Second internet connection over second RB

Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:30 pm

It would be quite difficult but I can imagine that you will use some eoip tunnel back to your modem and bridge the interfaces together. Then use the other end of eoip tunnel like your second wan on 2011. Just a hint, you need to try.

Zwodka
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Second internet connection over second RB

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:19 am

Thanx!

rmmccann
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:59 pm

Are you intending of load balancing or just want the 3G/4G as a failover in case the xDSL link is down?

If you want to load balance, jarda is right and you will either have to try something with an EoIP tunnel or similar, or perhaps utilize VLANs and a bridge interface to allow you to pass two separate L2 streams across your single ethernet cable.

If you only want to have it fail over if the xDSL is down, you could configure the 3G/4G connection as an internet connection on one of the other routers, then look into some of the guides on Dual WAN failover on the Wiki and simply create a route to the second RB that only becomes active when the DSL is down.

As an alternative solution, if your USB over Ethernet dongle only requires 4 or less wires (2 pairs of wiring), you could "split" the cat5 into two - 100Mbps ethernet only uses 2 pairs for data, the other two could be used for the USB device.

Zwodka
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:20 am

Are you intending of load balancing or just want the 3G/4G as a failover in case the xDSL link is down?

The first goal is the failover connection.
Maybe in the future load-balancig. But in this case I prefer the dual xDSL link.
My question is: I have to use Usb Over Ethernet Adapter or is there any way to make it over an other RB.

Thanx

rmmccann
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:57 pm

The first goal is the failover connection.
Maybe in the future load-balancig. But in this case I prefer the dual xDSL link.
My question is: I have to use Usb Over Ethernet Adapter or is there any way to make it over an other RB.

Thanx
What brand and model number is the USB extender? As I stated earlier - if the USB extender DOES NOT require the use of all 4 pairs in your ethernet cable, you might be able to use half of the pairs for the ethernet extender and half of the pairs for your upstairs RB. If not, your choices are to dedicate the ethernet for the USB extender, run another ethernet cable, or install the 3G/4G usb modem in another RB.

Zwodka
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:41 pm

Ok, it's a good idea!
Thanx!