I am back again for a bit more info on how to setup my new toy; cAP ac. I would like to use this as my main WiFi device for the house as I can put it in a nice central location. I currently have a RB4011 (wifi version), but it has been relegated to a cozy spot in the basement next to all the rest of the home network items; thus it doesn’t have great wifi coverage. I was hoping to get a bit of help in being able to get it setup and running in my home. I am in a WiFi congested area with a lot of other homes in the close area with WiFi, so I am trying to reduce the number of SSIDs that I currently have so that I can at least have one good one.
My current setup looks like the attached. It is a bit different than the original as setup in ref. I have since removed the guest and google wifi VLANS. Google smart devices don’t like being on different networks than the controlling device.
So I would like to essentially move the current WiFi networks that I have on my 4011 onto the cAP ac: Home WiFi 5GHz, IoT WiFi, and Home WiFi devices.
I’ve thus far been able to plug the cAP ac in and get it to power on… I’ve plugged it into ether-5 to see if I could access it from my admin computer through WinBox. I can see it show up as Mikro Tik with an IP (within my server DHCP) but I can’t seem to connect to it either through a browser or winbox.
Not sure where to go from here so I thought I would reach out to you fine people for some help. Thank you so much in advance.
NCR, shouldnt that now be the Covid Capital, yuck yuck a Maritimes joke.
Just be aware that as soon as you pass the signal through a single wall the AC network will be diminished and would say behind two walls, you will need another AP for AC>
The 2Ghz network has more distance capability so one wall is not issue and two wall still useable, but that third wall, well you will want another AP.
Centralized is good and higher up ceiling is good too.
I have two CapACs on my network so will pass you some thoughts later.
KK going to bed but quick look do the numbers add up???
6 vlans
but 8 pools??
6 dhcp servers
8 ip addresses
7 dhcp-server networks
DO you really need this enabled…
/ip upnp
set enabled=yes
/ip upnp interfaces
add interface=“Home Bridge” type=internal
add interface=“PPPoE WAN” type=external
Since you have a block all else rule in the forward chain as last rule…
add action=drop chain=forward comment=
“defconf: drop all from WAN not DSTNATed” connection-nat-state=!dstnat
connection-state=new in-interface-list=WAN add action=drop chain=forward comment=“VLAN Drop All Else”
you can modify your nat rule, so it is an accept rule like the others… clear and easy to read add action=accept chain=forward comment=“allow port forwarding”
connection-nat-state=dstnat connection-state=new in-interface-list=WAN
add action=drop chain=forward comment=“VLAN Drop All Else”
/interface bridge vlan
…
add bridge=“Home Bridge” tagged=“Home Bridge” untagged=“3 - Server” vlan-ids=10 (where is untagging of bridge port interface “5 - RPi” ? )
add bridge=“Home Bridge” tagged=“Home Bridge” untagged=“Home WiFi devices” vlan-ids=15 (where is untagging of bridge port interface=“Home WiFi 5GHz” ? )
vlan-ids=15
…
add bridge=“Home Bridge” tagged=“Home Bridge” untagged=*1F vlan-ids=40
(where is untagging of bridge port interface=“4 - Work PC” ? )
(where is untagging of bridge port interface=ether9 ? )
(where is untagging of bridge port interface=ether10 ? )
Final comment, Dont use quotation marks for NAMES of anything. Quotes are used in MT to surround COMMENTS.
You are trying to hurt my brains and eyes with this approach
Alright, since you bring it up. Let’s fix that before we go any further into the cAP work.
After working with these VLANs for about a year now (or maybe less), I’ve seen that we can consolidate a few for ease. I’ve decided to get rid of a bunch of these VLANs.
All I believe that is required att is to separate the IoT (which is currently on VLAN50) from the rest. We have it currently setup as a no-internet VLAN, but I can access it from my Admin workstation.
All the rest of the devices can collapse into 1 VLAN: 5, 10, 15, 20.
If we rather start from a fresh config, I’m cool with that, else I can just start changing the IPs of my devices so that they begin to fit in the right places.
Well, you and your thoroughness started this! I’m not gonna put a dress on a pile of crap and call it a day! I know I may not have removed some of the things thoroughly, so I need some help to find all those spots.
Shhhhhh, dont say that so loud, you will gain the wrath of the entire beauty products industry…
or as Shakespeare so eloquently put it!
“God gave you one face and you paint yourself another.”
I am not sure what you guys mean about the quotation marks. I haven’t purposefully done any of the sort. Anything I have named within winbox has only been normal characters only (numbers or letters). It’s because I put spaces in them is why there are so many quotation marks? We can put in some _ to make that go away I suppose.
Next step.. I’m kind of assuming you’re going to send me a large reply with what to do wrt collapsing a few of these VLAN into.. 3 is all I think I need now… Else I haven’t touched the comments from above yet.
I do not need upnp enabled. I can/have disabled that. the port forward rule, I can add that, though I may want to wait until you give me more details on the rest of the vlans.
I think we can call it a IntRAnet of things. There is no reason all devices on the network need to be connected to the www individually. I just have them all connected through my home automation server.
In other news: I suppose I should ask/provide more guidance to what I’m looking for here. OP was to add the cAP AC to things, but after a deeper look, I should probably clean up my network too.
This is what I would like:
ADMIN computer than can access all other devices. (on port 2 of RB4011, internet)
IOT LAN (to be on a 2.4G WiFi, no internet)
Home LAN (ports 3-8 of RB4011, 2.4G and 5G WiFi, internet)
Only the Server (on Home LAN) has access to the IOT LAN as this is where my home automation server resides to control all the IOT devices
I am not super familiar with how I can use this cAP AC in the network. I would love for it to extend the capabilities of existing RB4011 WiFi without over-crowding the building with SSIDs. Overall, my requirement is 3 different SSID: IOT, 2.4G Home, and 5G Home.
Does that cover/give enough detail to make a start?
So.. How exactly do I connect to the cAP AC? I see it in my leases, it has an IP and I can see it’s MAC, but neither work when I try to connect to it via winbox or through the browser.