Community discussions

MikroTik App

fking
just joined
Topic Author

QoS on hAP ax lite

Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:02 pm

hello! after several hours watching guides and reading manual i didnt get it.
"mangle and simple queue tree. Job done."
i understand that it's simple for somebody, but for me there is too much settings.

49003 – UDP Inbound AUDIO
49004 – UDP Outbound AUDIO
49005 – UDP Inbound VIDEO
49006 – TCP/UDP Outbound/Inbound Remote Input

is that even possible to make for hAP ax lite? Didnt find my router on this list QoS Device Support. Is there any command to put in terminal to make it work?
sorry for being newbie xd

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: QoS on hAP ax lite

Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:12 pm

It is possible. Use firewall mangle to mark your connections and then use queue tree to shape

fking
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:18 pm

It is possible. Use firewall mangle to mark your connections and then use queue tree to shape
like this for each port?

neki

Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:53 pm

Hi, I think that you should start using Winbox, let's fully enjoy the weirdness of Mikrotik..

Anyway, for the chains, input chain is traffic going straight to the router, for services running on the router. (f.e. you accessing web interface of the router)
Everything else is forward chain, and you are then looking at the source of the traffic and it's destination.

Question is, if you really want QoS based on individual ports and connections, because it's possible to QoS all the traffic.

You can try to measure your bufferbloat. Maybe you can deal with that and you won't need pitch point QoS.

You should also look at gueue types, I'm currently looking at CAKE.

There is guide that looks fairly simply, anyway I managed to broke my config with the "download/bridge" rule and I had to start over. (it's probably because of VLANs)

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:36 pm

Question is, if you really want QoS based on individual ports and connections, because it's possible to QoS all the traffic.
I believe the idea here is the audio should get priority, not ONLY trying to prevent bufferbloat more generally

I'll quote @pcunite :
There seems to be some confusion here as to why we place different traffic flows into respective Queues. This need unfortunately prevents us from showing a simple configuration. This article is not merely about overall latency or even about overall bandwidth availability. Rather, it is about protecting high value traffic, knowing what that is, how to identify it, and then placing it within a protected scheme while still allowing decisions to be made about other types of traffic, under highly congested situations. You can not rely on a shaper or queue algorithm to figure everything out for you.
And recommend @pcunite's tutorial: viewtopic.php?t=73214#p371299

In OPs case, only two sub queues are may be need:
queue-tree for "audio" & another for "everything else"
with a limit-at set for the "audio" queue, so it will get bandwidth over "everything else" if WAN queue is nearing max-limit.

But it the "limit-at" (e.g. "reserving" bandwidth in QoS) part that OP may be missing