📣 WinBox 4 is here 📣

Are we allowed to re-new requests?

The main thing that bothered me about WinBox (and WebFig) is the “random units” for data. Is there anyway this can be a setting to use a fixed unit?

While sorting helps, especially the new two-level support. I just want to visually see data usage without re-sorting everything (and having it change ordering when data volume changes).

A minor thing: if a master password is set, then after opening Winbox 4 the password field is not selected as it is in Winbox 3, instead the “Connect to” field is selected. So if I want to type in the password, I either have to click the field with a mouse or press Tab 26 times. I got quite accustomed to typing in the password immediately after opening Winbox, so this is another part of Winbox 4 that feels a bit more inconvenient to me.
Could this be fixed? Or in case there are users who prefer having the “Connect to” field be the first one selected, could a setting be added for it?

Hi,

Is it possible to display not only the RouterOS version but also the firmware version in the “neighbors” and “RoMON neighbors” windows?

Thanks!

Probably not. The RouterOS version is being broadcast by the devices, it is also visible in the IP->Neighbors output and in RoMON. The firmware is not.

I know that this option is not available now. My question is whether it can be implemented. I know that it is not always necessary to upgrade the firmware but it would be useful to have the version information visible.

It is what I explain: the information is not available, so it is not possible to add the option to display it.

This functionality should be implemented in RouterOS, it’s not directly related to WinBox. Make a feature suggestion on support portal.

Agree, it just odd to have an “Import…” option without some “Export…”. Even if the “Export” just copied to new location you picked.

For Mac, it is a few levels deep in ~/Library/Application Support/MikroTik/WinBox but that were all sandboxed apps go. And you can get to it from WinBox… On the login screen, when “Saved” is selected, you can use Open… on left. The “Show in Finder” on item in dialog (which takes

4.0beta26 (Windows 11)- There is a noticeable lag before the interface responds to the first text input after launch, for instance if I try to enter the Password for the Saved List I get about six characters in before any •••••• characters show up, which makes it feel like the field isn’t focused.

Happens at every launch.

Also, if the user has an encrypted Saved list, please focus the Saved list Password field at launch! Currently it takes 27 tabs or switching to mouse at every launch.

4.0beta26 (Windows 11)- There is a bug in “open in new”:
A failed connection (bad password) with “open in new” selected can result in infinitely spawning new windows. Not sure the exact triggers but it’s been ever since “open in new” was added and seems to only happen when I have an encrypted Saved file.

Is there logging I can turn on to try and figure out what’s going on?

Winbox4 is still missing the ability to create or encrypt a Saved connection list, or change the list password, which is a big issue.

Love you guys! That is great, it was driving me nuts!

Keep up the good work!

Why can’t we just select a range of lines in the log window and do a COPY to the clipboard, getting those log lines in the clipboard as a number of lines with time, topics, and message?
The only thing that works is selecting and opening individual lines and then copying fields one by one.

I am not sure about QT but many other 3rd party GUI frameworks have that feature built-in, where you can copy the selected content of any Grid control (table) to the clipboard, even with an additional format that is ready to be pasted into Excel (the clipboard format that Excel can consume just looks like a HTML table, with <tr>, <td>, <th> tags).

Yes, I would expect something like that. But it is not in winbox.
On the beta topic there was a discussion and I would have liked to put a log excerpt there, but to copy 8 lines with 3 fields each separately is too much hassle.

It seems that the latest and probably previous versions of Winbox for MacOS Mac-Telnet does not display the name of the router board, just the MAC address unlike the Windows version (3.42). Hope that gets fixed asap :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

Feature Request

App URL to launch like winbox://sakne@192.168.88.1

This allow links from other applications (e.g. VSCode Extensions), or even HTML to open winbox. Using a URL allow other apps avoids other apps needing to know where WinBox is installed, nor does it require invoke a process (which is tricky from interpreted languages or web).

This is supported by Qt, and I think, should be relatively trivial. See https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qdesktopservices.html#setUrlHandler (i.e. changes to .plist for Mac, and parsing URL in handler). And Windows has similar URL handler, which I'd imagine Qt use.

WinBox already supports arguments from CLI to accept user, password, and IP. Just more modern way to do it.

And, ideally, it look in "Saved" to find the password. I'm not suggesting it support :mypassword although perhaps that could be re-purposed for "group" so winbox://admin:mygroup@192.168.88.1

In Linux it would be a big mess to get that working, because there are so many different browsers, desktop environments and other standards that you would have to support. There is no standard registry that can hold such things.
Also, I think in general having a URL with authentication information is a thing that is being discouraged or even deprecated in many environments. It was too easy to lure people into doing things they would not want.

Hi, will be possible to sort saved devices/logins in Winbox by Comment?

Thx.

Hello! Now with multi-column sorting and auto column width adjustment, Winbox is ready for production use for me! Thank you for implementing these!

One further request: please put the zoom adjustment on the toolbar. In multi-monitor setups, when moving winbox between monitors of different sizes and resolutions, you need to adjust the zoom. Having it inside the menu means extra clicks. Even better would be if zoom also had an “auto” setting, adjusting itself according to the monitor resolution and size and then having a “smaller-bigger” user preference slider that would work on top of the automatic adjustment.